Students design and build truss bridges, then test the strength of the bridge by attaching a scale.
- Introduce the project name and design goals
- Discuss what defines a truss and the significance of trusses. If possible, point out examples of trusses in the room (sometimes used for tables and chairs).
- Show step-by-step how to build the Warren pattern (do not make an entire bridge during the lecture, just part of one)
- Explain how the bridge pieces are connected
- Pass out copies of the bridge patterns document and give your students two minutes to look it over before building