Introduction: Temari Sushi
Finalist in the
Snack Food Contest
Temari (colorful ball) sushi is an easy way of making nigiri sushi at home. You can use any toppings you like. We used relatively easy-to-find avocado and smoked salmon. (Although we cheated and topped with a bit of salmon roe that you have to look for at the Japanese market.) You can use, for example, raw fish, canned tuna, Asian pickled vegetable, cooked egg with a bit of sugar and soy sauce, or broiled eel.
Temari sushi is a lot easier to make than regular nigiri or rolls, and is fun for kids to make too. It is also very pretty if you pick the right color combinations!
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
The ingredients you will need for 22-26 temari sushi are:
- 1 2/3 C (400 cc or 2 Japanese cups) Japanese short grain rice - NOT sticky rice and NOT long grain rice like Jasmine or basmati. This makes about 5 cups cooked rice. Our preferred varieties of rice are koshihikari or akitakomachi. Calrose is okay in a pinch.
- 1/3 C seasoned sushi vinegar (you can make your own by combining 1/3 C rice vinegar, 3 Tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt)
- Toppings - we used a small pack of smoked salmon, one small avocado, and some salmon roe (optional)
- Wasabi (optional)
- Soy Sauce
For equipment, you will need:
- Rice Cooker (or you can use a stovetop method for cooking rice)
- Handheld Fanning Implement
- Big Container for Rice Mixing
Step 2: Preparing Sushi Rice
1. Cook the rice according to your rice cooker instructions or using a stovetop method.
2. Put the rice in a container for mixing.
3. Sprinkle the sushi vinegar over the rice.
4. Using a cutting and folding motion, mix the rice and vinegar.
5. Have a helper fan the rice while you mix until the vinegar is absorbed and the rice is cooled down.
Step 3: Make Sushi
1. Cut the topping ingredients (avocado and salmon) into thin, two-bite pieces.
2. Take a piece of plastic wrap and put it in your palm.
3. Put a topping piece on the wrap and add some wasabi on top if you like wasabi.
4. Add a small handful of rice on top of the topping.
5. Twist the wrap so it makes a ball.
6. Unwrap the ball, and you have a piece of temari sushi!
7. Repeat until your topping and rice is gone.
3 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.