Introduction: Temari Sushi
Temari (colorful ball) sushi is an easy way of making nigiri sushi at home. You can use any toppings you like. We used relatively easy-to-find avocado and smoked salmon. (Although we cheated and topped with a bit of salmon roe that you have to look for at the Japanese market.) You can use, for example, raw fish, canned tuna, Asian pickled vegetable, cooked egg with a bit of sugar and soy sauce, or broiled eel.
Temari sushi is a lot easier to make than regular nigiri or rolls, and is fun for kids to make too. It is also very pretty if you pick the right color combinations!
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
The ingredients you will need for 22-26 temari sushi are:
- 1 2/3 C (400 cc or 2 Japanese cups) Japanese short grain rice - NOT sticky rice and NOT long grain rice like Jasmine or basmati. This makes about 5 cups cooked rice. Our preferred varieties of rice are koshihikari or akitakomachi. Calrose is okay in a pinch.
- 1/3 C seasoned sushi vinegar (you can make your own by combining 1/3 C rice vinegar, 3 Tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt)
- Toppings - we used a small pack of smoked salmon, one small avocado, and some salmon roe (optional)
- Wasabi (optional)
- Soy Sauce
For equipment, you will need:
- Rice Cooker (or you can use a stovetop method for cooking rice)
- Handheld Fanning Implement
- Big Container for Rice Mixing
Step 2: Preparing Sushi Rice
1. Cook the rice according to your rice cooker instructions or using a stovetop method.
2. Put the rice in a container for mixing.
3. Sprinkle the sushi vinegar over the rice.
4. Using a cutting and folding motion, mix the rice and vinegar.
5. Have a helper fan the rice while you mix until the vinegar is absorbed and the rice is cooled down.
Step 3: Make Sushi
1. Cut the topping ingredients (avocado and salmon) into thin, two-bite pieces.
2. Take a piece of plastic wrap and put it in your palm.
3. Put a topping piece on the wrap and add some wasabi on top if you like wasabi.
4. Add a small handful of rice on top of the topping.
5. Twist the wrap so it makes a ball.
6. Unwrap the ball, and you have a piece of temari sushi!
7. Repeat until your topping and rice is gone.