I use this setup to monitor a server room, and as a weatherstation.
This project consists of:
- A Dallas 1-Wire bus network
- Interface between RS-232 and the Dallas 1-Wire system
- Digital temperature sensors connected to the Dallas 1-Wire bus (DS1820/DS18s20)
- Software setup to gather and graph temperatures
Step 1: You need
- Some linux skills
- Basic electronics skills, soldering etc..
- 1 6.2V Zener diode (1N5234)
- 1 3.9V Zener diode (1N5228)
- 2 Schottky diodes (1N5818)
- 1 1.5 k resistor
- 1 2pin screw terminal
- 1 D-sub 9 female connector with solder points
- 1 small piece of perfboard.
- One or more Dallas Semiconductor DS1820 or DS18s20 digital temperature sensor
- Cat5 cabling
- Shrink tube