I want to bring a small garden to your house. A terrarium is a garden under glass. We can make a terrarium in less than an hour. It's very quick and doesn't have to be expensive. Also it can be a wonderful gift.
Notice: All the pictures used from Google Image.
Step 1: Proposed Plants
These plants are recommended for a terrarium:
1. Aluminum Plant
2. Polka Dot Plant or Hypoestes
3. Golden Pothos Vine
5. Baby's Tears
Step 2: Materials
1. Glass containers with or without tops
2. Gravel, sea glass or beach stones
3. Potting soil
4. Activated charcoal (can be find at pet supply store)
5. Moss (Optional)
6. Terrarium plants
7. Decorative elements (Optional)
Step 3: Tools
We don't need any special tools for a terrarium. We just need a clipper and something like a fork.
Step 4: How to Build a Terrarium
Step 1. First of all, clean up your jar or container. The jar doesn't have drainer holes in the bottom, so it's better if you create a place for extra water.
Step 2. My recommendation is to put a layer of sheet moss in the bottom of the jar, and then put at least a 2" layer of stones on top of the moss.
Step 3. Add at least a half inch of charcoal, and then put about 5 or 6 inches of potting soil on top of the charcoal.
Step 4. Remove your plants from their pots. With a large spoon, or with your finger, dig a hole in the potting soil. Place your plants in the holes and then pat the soil around the plants. Make sure there are no air pockets between the roots of the plants and the soil.
Step 5. After you have fixed your plants in the soil, you can use some small decorative elements if you like.
Step 6.Now it's time for watering. For watering use only a spray bottle. Check every two weeks to see if the terrarium needs water. It doesn't need to be soaking wet, just damp.
Your terrarium is ready; you can enjoy now.
Step 11: Alerts
1. If you use a lid for the top of your terrarium, take that off at least once a month to air it out. During a month, if you see condensation or have too much water inside the terrarium, leave the top off until it dries out.
2. Never use glass cleaner on the inside of a planted terrarium, it will make the plants sick.