This ible will show you how to make a iPhone or Smart phone tripod mount in 10 min using basic tools in your shop. With this you can attach the phone to a tripod. Also i find attaching it to a mini tripod gives you a handle that you can do way better hand held shots that are exponentially more stable and watchable.
Here is the video of the build:
Step 1: Tools and materials
- Handsaw i prefer the fancy dancy Japanese saws as they cut really nice in PVC
- Miter box
- 13/64 drill bit
- 1/4-20 tap
- coarse file
- Utility knife
- Carpenters square
- Vice or clamp to hold the PVC when cutting the slot for the phone
- Really messy bench top (not needed but good for a ible 'Cool factor'
- 3/4 inch PVC preferably thick walled (either plumbing or electrical (the cream color or grey color) PVC will do)
- Mini tripod (you can get these at WallMart or discount store for a couple dollars
Step 2: Miter box time
- Using the miter box cut one end of the PVC at 30 degrees
- Next estimate 3-4 inches (This high accuracy measurement has a very technical term' SWAG' to it (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)) and cut the other end of the PVC with an apposing 30 degree cut
Step 3: Drill the tripod mount hole
- On the short side SWAG the center of the tube at the short end of the longitudinal 30 degree cut... Confused by the big technical terms? Then check out the pictures
- Drill a 13/64 Hole
- Then tap it 1/4-20
Clamp the PVC down when doing this but the PVC is soft enough you should be able to hand hold it like I have.