This is an instructable for an automatic gas chamber refueling cannon that has a silencer capable of muffling the sound exiting the cannon by almost 75%. When we would shoot this thing without the silencer several neighbors would complain, now no one even comes out of the house to see what the heck just went off in the neighborhood.
Keep in mind that silencer or not, potato cannons can be illegal in your county or city so if you're going to make one, make sure you understand the risks and laws behind having a potato cannon in your residence. Here are a few laws regarding potato cannons in your area.
* Spud guns are illegal to possess by persons under the age of 16 in New York.
* In Glendale, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona combustion spud guns are not considered firearms.
* In Madison, Wisconsin and in Illinois spud guns are not considered firearms.
* Combustion spud guns are considered firearms in the state of Texas.
* Spud guns are considered firearms in Winter Springs, FL.
* Spud guns are not considered firearms in the state of Maryland.
* Combustion spud guns are not to be manufactured or possessed by those under the age of 16 in the state of California
* Owning or using spud guns in Florida is illegal pursuant to Florida Statute 790.161 Making, possessing, throwing, projecting, placing, or discharging any destructive device or attempt so to do, felony; penalties.
* It has been claimed that the sale of spud guns in the state of Georgia and Wisconsin can be punished with felony charge resulting in a $20,000 fine and up to 15 years in prison. However, reviews of state laws in Georgia have so far indicated no such restrictions. Further review and/or confirmation is pending.
With that said, here is the video for our instructable just in case you don't want to read through the whole paper work :)