Well after countless trial and errors with a potato gun silencer we finally made one that worked!
This is an instructable for an automatic gas chamber refueling cannon that has a silencer capable of muffling the sound exiting the cannon by almost 75%. When we would shoot this thing without the silencer several neighbors would complain, now no one even comes out of the house to see what the heck just went off in the neighborhood.
Keep in mind that silencer or not, potato cannons can be illegal in your county or city so if you're going to make one, make sure you understand the risks and laws behind having a potato cannon in your residence. Here are a few laws regarding potato cannons in your area.
* Spud guns are illegal to possess by persons under the age of 16 in New York.
* In Glendale, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona combustion spud guns are not considered firearms.
* In Madison, Wisconsin and in Illinois spud guns are not considered firearms.
* Combustion spud guns are considered firearms in the state of Texas.
* Spud guns are considered firearms in Winter Springs, FL.
* Spud guns are not considered firearms in the state of Maryland.
* Combustion spud guns are not to be manufactured or possessed by those under the age of 16 in the state of California
* Owning or using spud guns in Florida is illegal pursuant to Florida Statute 790.161 Making, possessing, throwing, projecting, placing, or discharging any destructive device or attempt so to do, felony; penalties.
* It has been claimed that the sale of spud guns in the state of Georgia and Wisconsin can be punished with felony charge resulting in a $20,000 fine and up to 15 years in prison. However, reviews of state laws in Georgia have so far indicated no such restrictions. Further review and/or confirmation is pending.
With that said, here is the video for our instructable just in case you don't want to read through the whole paper work :)
Step 1: Getting all of your supplies
Alright, here are the supplies you are going to need.
2 segments of 4" PVC pipe. One of the segments will be used as your combustion chamber and it will be 4" thick x16" long The other segment will be used as the silencer and it will be 4" thick x10" long.
You will also need a 2" thick by 45" long piece of PVC pipe. This is going to be the barrel for your gun.
Three 4" thick to 2" thick pipe reducers, these will reduce the size of your pipes down by half. You will use 2 of them for your silencer. and 1 of them for your combustion chamber/barrel attachment.
You need to find a 4" thick end cap with a screw in cover. This is just in case you need to load up the chamber by hand.
Two 2" thick 90 degree elbows. these will be used to connect your chamber to your barrel.
A spark generator, or a grill starter, we got the spark generator from an old lighter we had laying around the house. Worked just as fine as a grill starter.
1/4" by 6" piece of copper pipe, you will use this to inject the fuel into the cannon using the automatic sprayer.
a 1/4" compression coupling, these are used to attach a copper pipe onto an area. We'll show you how to use them. The package comes with instructions on how to use them and what they are for. Just in case you need additional help check the back of the bag :)
lastly you will need an automatic air freshener. You can use a glade air freshener or any other type of automatic release freshener.
Of course you will need tools too. A drill bit with a 1/4 of an inch drill bit, sand paper, potatoes, and PVC cement.
Anyways, that's enough supplies lets get to building this thing!