Step 1: Add Fruit!
Cut the fat in half (or use a healthy oil like sunflower or olive.)
Add 1 - 2 cups of ripe fruit.
Add about 1/2 cup of rolled oats for every cup of fruit.
- Use a fruit that works with the recipe, like fresh cranberries in pumpkin bread or bananas in banana bread.
- The oats are very healthy, but their real purpose is to absorb the extra fruit juice. You may need to add more or less depending on the type of fruit you use, how ripe it is, etc.
- You may also need more baking time because of the moisture. If so, turn the heat down 50 degrees and check every 10 -15 minutes.
- If you're not using a mix and the fruit is sweet, leave out a portion of the sugar. I make banana bread with VERY ripe bananas and no sugar at all. On the other hand, I don't cut back on the sugar if adding cranberries.
- How you prepare the fruit is up to you.
- Add other healthy ingredients like nuts and seeds at your own risk. My family saw right through this : )