Step 1: Tools and supplies
2. Small drill bits (1/16") at least.
3. A Rotary multi tool. with various accessories.*see the second picture for the 3 most important*
4. A saw (The rotary tool with the right cut off wheel works fine)
5. A small metal ruler or a tape measure.
1. Wooden Dowel. I used 1/2 inch ( under $2 for 3ft)
2. Construction Flags. ($2.99 for 30)
Step 2: Lets get started!
I used the hacksaw you see in the tools photo but it's not critical. Cut it as long or as short as you want.
2. Select a drill bit that closely matches the diameter of the construction flag steel.
Note that the metal used in construction flags seems to be spring steel and is highly durable! It's rigid and cheap. In the past I've tried using all types of small diameter rods and this seems to be the least expensive,the easiest to find and the most durable.
The rod is very close to 1/16" so a drill bit that size or slightly smaller will work.