Introduction: The Best Trebuchet Ever Built
1. 48 inch PVC pipe (throwing arm)
2. 9 in x 30 in slab of softwood (main base)
3. Three 3.8 in x 14 in softwood (Base Supports)
4. Two 28 in x 1.8 in softwood (uprights)
5. Two 1.8 in x 27.5 in softwood (braces) (the long side should be cut at a 45 degree angle)
6. 1.8 in x 7.5 in softwood (trigger block) (1.8 in slot cut in one end)
7. 29 oz can of pumpkin (counterweight container)
8. lead weights
9. 2 meter string
Step 1: Assemble Trebuchet
1 - Use white glue and screws to attach main uprights to one of the small base stands.
Start with one screw and then make sure the uprights are at 90 degrees (right angle) to the base stand and they align with the outer edge.Tighten both screws.
2 - Set the main base on the three base stands as shown. The two end pieces are aligned with the end of main base.The piece holding the uprights is placed at the distance indicated. (Distance is important).
Fasten with 1 1/4" #6 screws and glue.
3 - Attach diagonal braces with 3/4 " #6 screws and glue.
4 - attach trigger plate to end of base. Make sure the slot is up and aligned as pictured.
Step 2: Create the Sling
1 - fold string in half so you have two strings parallel to each other and hold them 2 inches apart
2 - place two 6 in strips of duct tap on both sides of the strings near the center of the strings
3 - cut two narrow strips of tape to both sides of the larger strips to form a pouch
Step 3: Final Assembly
1 - Drill two holes through the counterweight and thread a wire hanger through
2 - Drill a hole through the arm and thread the wire hanger through with the bucket
3 - attach a binder clip to the bottom of the pouch
4 - drill a hole near the top of the trigger block and use a paperclip as a trigger