Introduction: The Complete Smart Home
This project can turn on and off the simple 6A loads like fan and lights depending upon the relay ratings.
Up to 16 loads can be switched on and off from any phones with Android, iOS, Java, Windows or anything web based. Android have app for it.
In case for switching HV appliances like AC, Refrigerator, Washing machine a contactor to be incorporated.
Step 1: Parts
Here I have used the DPDT relay where SPDT relay is sufficient.
First and foremost, working on 230V is dangerous have a certified Electrician for all wiring purposes.
1. Wifi Router with Ethernet port + Adapter + Patch Cord
2. Ethernet Relay Board RCD1610-RJ45 Link
3. 1 x 2A MCB (here I used 10A MCB)
4. 1 x 16A MCB
5. 16 x SPDT Relay base rail mounting type
6. 16 x SPDT 24VDC Relay
7. 9 x Terminal Connectors (depends upon wiring)
8. 222 Wago Connectors (depends upon wiring)
9. 12V 2A Adapter for powering Relay Board
10. 24V 3A Adapter for powering external relays
11. 2 x wiring channels
12. 2 x DIN rail
13. 16 x SPDT switches (Optional for fail safe mechanism)
Step 2: Schematic
Here I have shown only one control, rest 15 controls are copy of the circuit.
Phase is routed via a 16A MCB to a optional SPDT switch which acts as a fail safe to if the total circuits fails someway
Here this circuit optional has been bypassed
Load can be switched either ways via a normal switch or through the RCD board with wifi router. This is simple two way switching.
THE RATING OF THE RELAYS IN RCD BOARD ARE ENOUGH TO DRIVE THE 6A 230V LOAD. JUST IN ORDER NOT TO HAVE 230VAC TO THE BOARD I HAVE INCLUDED THE EXTERNAL RELAYS WHICH TAKES THE 230VAC AND ALSO FOR EASY REPLACEMENT OF RELAYS IN FUTURE. THE COIL VOLTAGE OF RELAYS ARE CONTROLLED BY THE RCD BOARD WHICH IS 24VDC.
Point A is branched to 16 230VAC and connected to the common terminal of external relay
Point B is branched to 16 +24VDC and connected from common of rcd board relay and coil A1 of the external relay
Point C is branched to 16 -24VDC and looped together and connected to NO of rcd board relay and coil A2 of the external relay
All three adapters and powered through a 2A MCB
Other end of the load is connected to a common Neutral of 230VAC.
Step 3: Surface Preparation
As my initial plan was not to have the panel to be placed, so removed some wall blocks to place the panel
Step 4: Initial Wiring and Testing
Here I have used a optional SPDT switches for failsafe and testing purposes.
wiring came complicated which led to removal of some optional items.
Step 5: Panel Assembling
This is completely your self idea to design custom panel
As the circuit and wiring gets complicated, have decided to do the DC wiring in the panel and connect the power source and 2 way wiring connection after placing the panel inside the enclosure.
Step 6: Panel Wiring
Panel wiring I have used some 2 way, 3 way and 5 way wago 222 connectors.
Since on 230VAC using tapes and joints is not reliable
External relay makers are OEN and Goodsky, which is readily and easily available here.
Make sure all metal boards are earthed properly.
Step 7: Adding Wifi Router
Since the board uses Ethernet, it should be connected to the Router
Router to be placed in a central area where loads can be switched with enough wifi signal.
1. Connect the patch cord to the rcd board and other end to one of the router lan port
2. Power on the rcd board and wifi router
3. By default rcd board has ip 192.168.1.25 and port 80 and access code 123456
4. Now ping 192.168.1.25 from your computer and confirm reply
5. If failed turn off the firewall
6. Once wifi connected it will have limited connectivity only
7. Once ping is successfull open browser to http://192.168.1.25/web
8. Enter the access code 123456
9. 1 to 16 relays can be switched from here
Step 8: Android and Windows App
Android and windows app can be downloaded from here
System is double secure
1. Secure the wifi router with authentication password
2. Change the access code to any by following the datasheet
Step 9: Notes
Upon successful router addition remember to add the below code to maintain power off memory which provides memory function, when the function is turned on, the relay state is saved when there is a power failure.
This prevents change over of relay making some load to toggle its power state.
Just copy paste this to the address bar on a successful ping of 192.168.1.25
ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE IS THAT THIS TYPE OF SWITCHING IS TWO WAY SO THE STATE OF RELAY SPECIFIED CAN BE DIFFERENT FROM ACTUAL IF BOTH MANUAL SWITCH AND WIFI BASED SWITCHING IS USED.
Apologize for the low quality video.
Any doubts feel free to mail me at