Step 9: Bane's Mask
Then I had to fit it to Kevin's head. To make the mask easily removable, I decided to make the mouth piece and the cheek pieces separate, attachable via Velcro. The cheek pieces, made from foamie sheets, were attached to an over-the-head piece of cloth as a template. I trimmed it down and re-sized it until it was the right fit and shape on his head. Then I cut a long piece of foamie sheet for the middle of the head, and added some tubes onto the sides. The tubes I used were a 3/4 inch protective wire wrap, cut in half lengthwise
The tubes on the mouth. Boy. Sometimes it stinks to be dedicated to details. Looking at high-resolution official pictures of Bane, I noticed that some of the tubes had a specific texture. It wasn't just ribbed, it was like a diamond pattern. I searched internet stores, hardware stores, anywhere to try and find something that texture that was flexible or modifiable enough to use. I didn't. The only places I saw it was on metal tools, like dentist picks or jewelry tweezers. I finally noticed that the sculpting tools I had already have that texture on it, and got smart and decided to dip them in latex. After a few layers, I could peel it off, turning it inside out, and that would give me a flexible tube with that diamond grip texture. Voila.
The ribbed tubes were initially going to be 1/4 inch protective wire wrap, but that ended up not being quite as flexible as I wanted. A friend recommended Lego Technic hose pieces, which were much better. The flat tubes on the sides would just be pens. For the little pieces where the tubes connect to the mask, I used cut up pieces of pens. Sometimes I wanted slightly larger diameter pieces. It was difficult to find tubes like that in just the size I was looking for (that I could cut with scissors), and so cheap noisemakers I found ended up working. For the flexible tubes, I put pieces of bent wire on the insides to help keep their shape. All of this hot glued on. More detail pieces on the sides made from foamie sheets glued on. Same as the details on the tubes on the middle of the mask, in addition to power cord tube running underneath the cheek pieces, and small rings for the tabs on the middle of the mask.
Looking at behind-the-scenes pictures of Bane in daylight, you can some subtle colors; it's not just solid black and silver. Finding just the right color was a challenge, but it ended up being mostly an olive drab mixed with a little bit of blue.
Most homemade Bane masks I've seen have been sculpted as a whole and then cast into a latex mask. That's a good way to do it, especially for a tight fit, but I do like how it looks pieced together from parts, rather than just a single rubber piece.