Introduction: The Easy, Healthy Swiss Roll
Ever since my mother was a little girl her favorite dessert was Brazo Hitano, I had no idea what that was until I looked it up. I found out that it was actually called a Swiss Roll! So, I decided to start making it to surprise her. In the recipe I experimented due to not having one ingredient, the results were amazing. In the original recipe it called for all-purpose flour but I did not have any at the time, so I used this special pancake/waffle mix in my pantry and created an easy-to-fold cake base. This cake contains no butter or dairy, here are the instructions and ingredients listed below.
Ingredients for cake:
- 4 eggs
- 4 1/2 ounces Caster sugar (If you do not have this next to superfine sugar, you can blend granulated sugar in a food processor to make it. It is like making almond flour.)
- 4 1/2 ounces Pancake/Waffle Mix (I got mine from my church, but you can use any special pancake or waffle flour like that.) You can also use all-purpose too.
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-(Optional) Whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Use a hand mixer and mix together eggs and caster sugar, mix until pale and is fluffier than pancake batter. Add in warm water and extract and mix until combined.
3. Sift in flour a little at a time while folding the flour in with a spatula, mix until thoroughly combined.
4. Get a 15 by 10 inch pan, place parchment paper at bottom and spread melted butter around sides and bottom. After that is done pour in the mixture gently, tilt the pan at all sides so the batter will have a better shape. Bake for 15 minutes, after the cake is done baking it should have a sponge-like texture and slightly-less elevated corners.
5. Get a piece of parchment paper relatively bigger than the cake, sprinkle powdered sugar on top so the cake will not stick. Get the baked cake and place it onto the sheet, be careful not to break it or remove chunks of the cake. Peel of parchment paper at bottom and cover the whole cake with a damp or regular towel, leave to cool. After cooled get jam and spread evenly over the top of the cake, you may also add fruit slices of desired fruit. Once done quickly roll it up from one side and serve with powdered sugar, whipped cream is an option.
Note: The jam I used was homemade, I made my own papaya jam due to my mother liking that. If you all would like leave a comment telling me to post the recipe for it, I will. Otherwise you can use homemade to factory made strawberry, grape, blackberry, fig, blueberry, or whatever jam you would like. For this cake I recommend using homemade strawberry jam, and no whipped cream on or in the cake. And yes, I know used papaya, my mother rates that the cake has the perfect consistency and flavor. So the jam and side options do not play a huge role.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.