My project works on this equation, Nintendo DS + GameBoy Color + GameBoy Advanced SP parts = GameBoy DS
When the Nintendo DS first came out, I was pretty excited. I was especially happy to hear about the GameBoy Advance slot. When I got my DS, I was sad to find out that the Advance slot could not play original GameBoy games.
After a few years, I decided that it would be really cool to put my DS inside an original GameBoy shell. After a little bit of time working on that project, I remembered my wishes that the DS would play old GameBoy games. In order for my GameBoy DS to play any Nintendo handheld game ever made, I decided that a GameBoy Color would be the best option. It was also a lot smaller to save space.
My original idea with only the DS inside would have turned out to be only a little larger than a normal GameBoy. However, after adding the GameBoy Color it is almost the size of two GameBoys stacked up.
This turned out to be a little harder than I expected, but I have pretty much pulled it off at this point.
The total cost of this project was roughly $130-$150. It was probably about two months of work overall. I normally only had an hour or two a day, so it would have gone faster if I did not have to worry about work and all that.
Here are the needed supplies for this project:
- Original GameBoy
- GameBoy Color
- GameBoy Advance SP
- Soldering Iron
- Hot Glue Gun
- Basic Electronics Knowledge
- A Steady Hand
Step 1: Start by Getting Your Outer Case Ready
In the beginning of the project, I only wanted my Nintendo DS inside the shell of an old GameBoy. What I did in the beginning was take apart my GameBoy and save the outer case to use for my project. The internal parts of the GameBoy I used still worked, so I saved them to try and repair my old GameBoy that no longer worked. Once I had the outer shell, I marked the places where I would need to grind away with my Dremel to make the DS connectors still be exposed.
I took apart most of my DS and ground the edges down to make it fit inside the GameBoy better. This helped me mark the spots of the old GameBoy more accurately.
Luckily the DS is roughly the same size of an original GameBoy. Also a few of the existing holes in the case lined up with a couple connectors on the DS. Another great thing is that the battery compartment for the GameBoy just happened to be in a location that lined up with the battery of the DS.
It was after grinding my GameBoy case up that I decided to add in a GameBoy Color. So I knew I had to fill in some gaps when I had finished this up. I detail the GameBoy Color portions in the next few steps.