Introduction: "The Great Pumpkin" Ice-Cream Cake
It’s Halloween, the time for costumes, candy, and pumpkins! Halloween is a great time to spend with family, so for this Halloween, why not treat your family to a delicious pumpkin cake. A lot of people have made a simple vanilla cake, but with the ice-cream center to complement your cake, nothing will compare. My family loves this recipe and I’m sure your family will too. A two layer vanilla cake made in a pound cake pan, ice-cream center, and ice-cream cone stem, “The Great Pumpkin” is sure to leave your friends screaming.
Step 1: Tools
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Electric mixer (optional)
- Piping bags/tips (differs based on design choices)
- Pound cake pan
Step 2: Ice-Cream
You can use a store brand, if so I recommend , if not I found this recipe on http://lovegrowswild.com/2014/08/churn-vanilla-ice-cream/.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Mix vanilla extract and condensed milk in a small bowl until fully incorporated. Add heavy cream and beat until firm peaks form.
- Slowly add vanilla mixture to heavy cream. Once combined, pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight.
Step 3: Cake
You can use a mix or your own recipe and flavor. I have made a simple vanilla cake from this website to complement the vanilla ice-cream. (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17481/simple-white-cake/)
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a pan.
- In mixing bowl, mix together sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs then add vanilla extract. Combine flour and baking powder to mix and stir until batter is smooth. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in preheated oven
Step 4: Icing and Decorating
Now it is time for everones favorite part, besides eating it. Decorate your cake, rap it in plastic rap, and freeze overnight.
You can buy everything you need, but if you want something to do I have made a crusting buttercream icing from (https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/07/crusting-buttercream/?_ct=rbew&_ctp=189739)
- 2 lb confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups solid vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅛-½ cup whole milk (based on desired consistency)
- In mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add about ¼ of the confectioners’ slowly to mix. Mix slowly until sugar is fully incorporated and scrape bowl before repeating process. Mixture will begin to thicken.
- Incorporate ⅛ cup of milk to the mixture, continue depending on desired consistency. The icing will need 20-30 minutes to harden/crust.
Step 5: Congratulations!!!!! :)
YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!
Enjoy your ice-cream cake and tell me how it went. This is one of my first instructables so tell me if I need to improve anything.