For everybody who’s ever wanted to wear a Minecraft Mooshroom on their head (or knows somebody who’d love a Mooshroom hat as a gift), this Instructables project is for you! (And really, who wouldn’t want to wear a giant, red, fungus-ridden cow on their head?) It’s a definite attention-getter at any convention.
I was inspired to do this because I made a light-up Christmas tree hat that was really popular, and I figured that if people liked wearing a lit-up tree on their head, then they wouldn’t mind wearing a cow there either. And, it’s probably obvious that I really enjoy Minecraft – I also made a Minecraft-themed candle-powered paper carousel.
Step 1: Materials You'll Need
You’ll need the items pictured above -- here's what it includes:
- Martha Stewart Crafts Knit & Weave Loom Kit. I used this specific loom/knitting kit because I won it in a contest, but you could probably use a different kit and adjust it to work (or, if you’re experienced at knitting, you could probably knit all of this without a kit). See the details in the steps for what loom pieces are needed.
- Red yarn, super bulky (size 6). I Bernat Blanket Soft & Cozy yarn (Cranberry 10705) because it was the closest in color that I could find at my local yarn shop. Any super bulky, mooshroom-colored yarn should work. The ball was 234 m, and I ended up needing a tiny bit from a second ball, but if you made the hat shorter you probably wouldn’t need a second ball.
- Piece of cardboard, at least 20 cm by 12 cm
- Utility knife
- Printer and paper
- Glue for fabric and felt. I used Elmer’s Craft Bond Tacky Glue and it worked really well.
- Felt in the following colors: Black, white, pink, light gray, dark gray. Get one sheet of the black, white, and pink, and two sheets of light gray and dark gray each.
- Sewing pins and paperclips. This is for holding pieces in place before gluing them.
- For gluing: Heavy books (e.g., textbooks), paperback novels, binder clips, and sheets of paper (to protect the books from the glue).
- Polyester fiberfill
- Cardboard toilet paper tube or paper towel tube
- Somebody to laugh at you when you wear the hat!