There I was, in my corner of the basement, my collection of salvaged tin cans sitting in the corner, pondering what I could make... Then a brilliant idea hit me as if I were taking a nap on the train tracks.. I would make a jet engine, from nothing but recycled materials!!
So when I thought about it, having all
recycled materials really wasn't possible with my current supplies, while still making it somewhat safe.
EDIT: PLEASE NOTE THIS PROJECT WAS NOT SUCCESFUL, MEANING THE JET I MADE DOES NOT WORK. I HOPE YOU CAN LEARN SOMETHING FROM MY WRITE-UP.
Monday, April 13, 2009: I tested the engine today. I tried to use hydrogen-oxygen gas from my hydrolosys setup and melted part of my fuel system. I will have to do repairs before I can test it again.. I apoligize to everyone who is waiting for a video of it's probable destruction..
Thursday, April 16, 2009: Since last time I purchased a windproof lighter so that I can use the fully combusted butane to run the engine. I held the flame up to the brass tubing, cans, and JB Weld and none of them looked like they were melting. I made a small adapter thing out of spare parts I had lying around so that the lighter could be connected to the fuel input. I had to wait overnight for the JB Weld to dry.. So maybe tommorow, or Saturday..
Monday, April 20, 2009: So my fuel system failed and failed and failed, and melted, and failed again and again.. In an attempt to get something slightly working I went ahead and cut a hole in the side of the main housing and stuck my windproof lighter in to see if I could get it working that way, and the flame went out in less than 10 seconds, I'm not sure why. It was a fun project, and hopefully you can learn from it, and maybe make it work.
A couple improvements I can think of would be:
- Copper fuel line, instead of brass for a higher melting point
- Wider diameter fuel line, mine was about 1/16" outer diameter, and even smaller inside, which ended up being way too small
- make sure that whereever your fuel inputs end up, they have a good amount of clearance from the flametube, during final tests, it was melting from the butane flame..
This Instructable involves:
- Cutting stuff
- Flammable gas
- JB Weld
- Sharp Objects
- Potentially fast moving objects
EDIT: My email recently decided that the instructables robot was spam, so I haven't responded to a lot of comments that I didn't know about. I'm sorry, but I can't do much about it, I tried to fix the problem in my email client..
PLEASE READ THIS INSTRUCTABLE IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE BEGINNING TO CONSTRUCT YOUR OWN.I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY RESULTING BAD STUFF THAT OCCURS BECAUSE OF THE INFORMATION PRESENTED HERE.