2x beach cruiser (step through for easy access)
60'x 3/4" steel square tube
20'x 3/4" steel round tube
20'x 5/8" line for main sheet
20'x 1/4" line for down haul and traveler
jam cleat for down haul
corresponding misc blocks and cleats for main sheet and traveler
Wind surfing mast and universal mast step
old sail (i used the jib from an I14 and cut it down)
hose clamps for mast step and hardware for bolting cleats to frame
3/4" closed cell insulation foam strips for protecting the frame and reducing vibration.
optional piece of pvc for mast step
bolts and nylock nuts for steering arm
Ubolts for attaching the frame to the bike frames.
I chose to use traditional bicycles because I wanted to have the normal "bike" experience, in hindsight, a recumbent bike
probably would have been a better choice as it would have lowered the center of gravity and gained clearance for the sail, but I think the recognition factor for normal bikes was little higher and more fun looking. I simply prefer to ride a normal bike as well.
Another reason i used normal bikes instead, was i wanted to try and reduce the material cost and welding time, by keeping the bikes intact and making the frame removable. Well, i ended up welding a relatively elaborate frame anyway, and while the bikes were indeed removable, i Think a custom recumbent frame would have been just as easy to do, Oh well you live and you learn!
So i went with 2x beach cruisers. I got them from target, they were about 100$ which is a little expensive, but they were nice, reliable, and it made it easier when both bike are identical.
The wind surfing mast was because I wanted the mast to rotate and the sail to furl. If i had used a fixed mast i would have had to have a jib or asymmetrical spinnaker rotating on a forestay like a traditional boat, but i thought that would put the center of effort
too far forward and make it difficult to go upwind. So I opted for the main sail, and the rotating non-stayed mast. The windsurfing gear was the cheapest (free) and easiest solution I could find and ended up being pretty strong. On to construction!