Introduction: The Scrappy Bag
What to do with all that scrap yarn??? Why make a bag!
Step 1: Supplies
- Scrap Yarn
- Light weight water soluble stabilizer
- Fabric for straps and lining of bag
How much you need of these items depends on the size of the bag you are making.
You will also need to use a sewing machine.
Step 2: Cut!
- Decide the size of the bag.
- Cut out two pieces of light weight water-soluble stabilizer double the length of the purse. This is so you can fold it in half and have the material on both sides of the yarn.
- Cut the lining to the same size as one of the pieces of the light weight water-soluble stabilizer pieces.
- The straps we cut to be about 2 inches in width. at whatever length you desire.
Step 3: Laying the Strings
- Lay strings of yarn all over on half of the light weight water-soluble stabilizer. You could lay it down in a pattern but we just laid them all over in coordinating colors. Have completely covered on that half.
- Once you have the desired amount of yarn. Fold the water-soluble stabilizer over to cover both sides of yarn. Pin in place.
- Repeat with second piece of light weight water-soluble stabilizer.
Step 4: Sew Yarn
Sew the yarn to the light weight water-soluble stabilizer. For ours we found it worked best to work in a square to the center. Then finished it off with and X for extra security.
Step 5: Soak
Once Both pieces are sewn soak them in warm water and rub them until they are no longer sticky feeling. Then let dry overnight.
Step 6: Sew Fabric
While it drys, sew the lining and handles for the bag.
Step 7: Assemble
With dry yarn fabric sew in lining and and strap. A tip from my friend Amanda: have lining face up as you sew so yarn doesn't get caught in the foot.
Now you have a brand new, unique, bag.