This project turned out to be harder than I expected. In a few ways it was easier too, so I can't say it was an overall hard or easy project. The difficulty varies between the steps. I thought it was a lot of fun. I've still got some finishing touches to do, but I think this is good for now.
Basically I took an old broken computer monitor and cleaned out everything. I kept the empty shell and put an LCD TV in the front. Behind that is a Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation, and an Xbox. All cleverly disguised as a standard CRT monitor. (Unless you see it from the sides, or get in close)
This All-in-one system takes up much less space and surprises the heck out of people when they figure out what it is!
Here are the supplies that I used to make this:
-Nintendo Entertainment System
-A wide assortment of screwdrivers
(standard flat-head and Phillips, a precision set, a TORX star screwdriver, a tri-wing screwdriver for those Nintendo screws, and a set of Nintendo bolt screwdrivers)
-A dremel with cutting bits and plenty of cutting wheels
(They get stuck in the plastic and break often, because the plastic melts as you cut.)
-Plenty of hot glue and epoxy
-lots of screws and standoffs
(I used some meant for computers, so all the screws are the same type and size)
-A little bit of Energon and a lot of luck
(Sorry, but I was watching a lot of Transformers while making this)
These instructions are not exactly in the order that I made this. I did this project sporatically and when I had time, so I did different steps all at once. In order to make this more coherent, I simplified the steps to make it easier to follow. (Feel free to improvise and expand upon my methods) Also some of the pictures for each step are of the finished setup, because I didn't take enough pictures while making this. So if you see things suddenly plugged in, that is why.
Also, just to warn you, most of these steps contain similar information, because I did pretty much the same thing every step. Many times the beginning and end of a step are almost exactly the same. However I put the information there just in case some people skip steps. This way they are still getting the information.
One of my biggest inspirations for this is the infamous Yoshi Boxx from the old Tech Tv. After seeing that I knew I wanted to try something similar someday. Many thanks to Ben-Heck who was also an inspiration to me to try something like this. Looking through his site gave me a lot of ideas. Even though everyone is making systems portable these days, I thought I would go the other direction. Also thanks to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft for supplying the hardware that made this possible.
Also, for those interested in making one of these, here is a cost estimate for the project:
Total cost - $400-450
(If you had to buy everything. If I had just made this with my existing systems, it would have been about $300. Or the cost of the TV and the building supplies. If you don't have the tools used, they will need to be factored in too.)
Monitor - Free (You could probably call some local companies and see if they have any broken/unwanted monitors.)
LCD TV - $200-250
NES - $21
SNES - $26
N64 - $25
PS1 - $25
Gamecube - $26
Xbox - I used my own, but probably about the same as the other consoles.
Video switch - $5
Epoxy - about $10
Hot glue - about $5
Latches - $12
Extension cord - $10-15
I actually owned a copy of each system I used in this project, but I bought one of each (Except the Xbox) on Ebay to use. That way I didn't destroy the systems that I knew and loved. Also most were owned by my family and not just me. Just remember, the key to Ebay shopping is patience. You set a goal for what you are willing to pay and wait for an auction that meets that goal.
Thank you very much Instructables! I finally have myself a featured tutorial. Hopefully it will not be my last, because I've got a few things planned for the near future (if I can find the time).
Step 1: Empty the monitor
After taking it all apart, I took the front of the frame and cut a lot of it out with my dremel. This was to allow enough space to put the LCD TV inside of the monitor. I was not confident enough to take apart the TV, so I cut out large notches to put the TV in. I also allowed enough space to have access to the video input panel and the button panel.
After I had made the cuts for the TV, I took apart the consoles that I would be placing inside. I set up a sample layout using the main parts of the systems and temporarily holding them in place with duct tape. Be careful not to put the tape in a way that gets any important parts sticky. (Game slot, controller port, etc.)
Once I got started, I had to alter this layout a bit to allow for easy access and cords. If you compare the two, you can see that many things changed in the final layout.