Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- - a pair of socks (I went with knee-high argyle, and have plans to also make a sock-ta-pus with these super cool black knee socks with flames on them - I'll post pictures when I finish that one)
- - scissors
- - needle and thread (if you had a sewing machine, you could use it as well - it'd make this even faster and easier)
- - pins
- - stuffing/batting
- - a knitting needle or pencil (to turn the legs right side out)
Step 2: Slice and Dice
- Cut the toe portion and most of the foot off of one (just one!) of your socks
- Turn both socks inside out
- Slice the socks up the leg portion toward the foot (or where the foot was). You'll be cutting the leg portion into two equal width strips, but leaving the food portion intact
- Cut up the leg portion again to divide each of these strips into two - each sock will now be sliced into four portions
Step 3: Pin and Sew
- Pin each strip right sides in to form a tube
- Sew along the edge of each strip being careful not to fully close up the leg-tubes
- Use a knitting needle, pencil, or other long thin object to turn the leg-tubes right side out
- Working a small bit at a time, push stuffing/batting down into the legs, being careful not to pack it in too tightly (the socks will stretch and it will look kind of weird if it's too tightly packed) - the knitting needle also helps to push the batting down if your socks are particularly long like mine were
Step 4: Finish It Up
- After stuffing all eight legs, fill the foot portion of the sock (head) with stuffing
- Tuck the end of the sock that is only legs (the one that you removed the foot from before) inside the opening of the sock that has the foot still attached
- Carefully sew this portion together to close the whole thing up
- Stitch on some eyes (and a mouth, if you want to)
- Behold the eight-legged greatness of your awesome sock-ta-pus!
Step 5: **Update** Alternatives
To make this type of duo-tone Sock-ta-pus:
- Cut all four socks into strips as described for a standard Sock-ta-pus
- Cut the foot portion off of three of the socks, leaving the foot on the one that is the color that you want the head to be
- Instead of sewing tubes, line up the light and dark socks right sides together (so that you have two sets of dark and light), and pin and sew each leg around three edges. This is basically the same process as if you were sewing the tubes, only you're sewing together two pieces to form each tube
- Turn each using a pencil or knitting needle, and stuff if desired (because of the extra fabric you might have, you may not need to stuff the legs, but you can if you want to)
- Stuff the head portion and assemble the legs as described for a standard Sock-ta-pus
- Sew on some eyes (and mouth if you want)
- Admire your super fancy Sock-ta-pus!
There are also three other Sock-ta-pii pictured here in different patterns and colors!