My job is a whole bunch of moving from one space to another. It is very repetitious and less is more when it comes to bringing supplies. Dual purpose products scream out to me so I thought I would share this idea with you. In Alberta, Canada there is a company that makes or imports a screw on lid for 5 gallon pails.
You know the white pails that every product you can think of comes in. The pail is strong, the right size, and can be found everywhere. Most of the time these pails are thrown away, and the lids that come with the pails are an SOB to take off with your fingers. The lid is called a GAMMA Seal and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I use this lid for my lunch pail, and when I am in Hawaii I use two of the pails with lids to store my items and I fill them with pool water to add weight to my workouts.
For my job I need a tool pail that I can power wash, fits in annoyingly small areas, I have to be able to sit on it, and operate an auger for hour long stretches. For me this is the answer that fits my life to a tee.
Step 1: Acquiring the materials.
You will need:
- A 5 Gallon Pail no lid.
- A leftover scrap piece of 200mm (8") PVC Sewer Pipe.
- A leftover scrap piece of 150mm (6") PVC Water Pipe
- Gamma Seal Lid (Any color)
- A leftover piece of wood larger than the inside diameter of the bottom of the 5 gallon pail.
- PL9000/Epoxy or substitute.
Optional: Metal Carabiner, 1-1/2" tubing, handle tubing.
Tools you will need:
- Access to a band saw, table saw, drill press, power sander, router.
- A bastard file, some sand paper, an exact-o-knife. a caulking gun.
- Optional: Spray Paint, Masking Tape.
Safety PPE required:
- Eye protection, gloves, ear protection.