I would suggest putting this project together on a breadboard first and then soldering it up on perfboard if you enjoy it!
Step 1: Do You Have The Parts?
* Small wires for making connections
* Female RCA (TV cable) adapter. I use these for power input on all of my soldered-up projects.
* Female headphone jack (1/8 in. / 3.5mm.)
* Phototransistor. THIS IS NOT AN LED
* 10,000pf ceramic capacitor. #103. This is the same as 0.01uf or 10nf
* 4 different valued resistors. 4.7 Kilohm, 10 Kilohm, 22 Kilohm, and 10 Megohm
* NPN transistor
* 555 timer IC (integrated circuit)
* DIP-8 (dual in-line package - 8) IC socket
****If you don't know where to find these things, head on over to MOUSER.com and search for them! make sure to look at the datasheet of each item before ordering!****
****Note that both the DIP-8 IC socket and the female RCA adapter plug are unnecessary for building this project on a breadboard.