I made this Walking Dead Inspired Zombie with my kids for Halloween. It is a really simple project and cheap to make.
I used materials I had left over from other projects and the only item I bought was a dollar store mask for the head.
I made a video of the process for my YouTube channel Please watch and subscribe!
Some screws appropriate for materials you use,
Hatchet (optional,but lots of fun to use),
The sleeves from an old shirt or jumper,
6 Small pieces of wood to use as stakes,
Assorted spray paints and primer (any colors you like),
1 sheet of contact for making stencils,
Pieces of cardboard for use with spray paint.
Step 1: Cut Out Arms Head and Headstone Shapes From Plywood
- Use your pencil to trace around your arms and draw a head shape onto the plywood
- Carefully cut out the pieces (don't cut your fingers off)
- On one arm I drew bones and cut the wood away around and between them so it will look like the flesh fell off.
- Cut out a headstone shape from your plywood and round over the corners,I used a roll of tape to draw a curve to follow.
- I then sanded all the edges to get rid of splinters.
Step 2: Make Stakes for the Backs of Each Piece
- Use a piece of scrap wood to make six stakes for the back of the plywood pieces you have cut out.
- I made 2 for the head,2 for the headstone and one for each arm.
- Use a sharp hatchet to fashion some nice points onto your stakes.
- Drill some pilot holes through your stakes and attach the stakes with screws to the back side of the plywood pieces.
Step 3: Prime & Spray Paint
- I spray primed the front surface of the pieces.
- Allow the primer to dry
- I then started using different color sprays to add some realism to the pieces
- I used black white and red sprays in layers on the arms and hands to make it look like bloody rotten flesh and bones.
- I used white spray all over the headstone then black and green around the edges using a piece of cardboard to stop the spray from covering the middle of the headstone.
- The green and black the edges give a moss and mildew like finish to the headstone
- I printed out a bio hazard warning size and used it to cut a stencil from contact(roll of sticky backed plastic film)
- I drew out an RIP sign and also made a stencil with contact.
- I then stuck the RIP and Biohazard contact stencils onto the headstone and used black spray paint on the RIP stencil & red on the Biohazard sign.
- Wait for the spray to dry and remove the stencils.
Step 5: Make the Head and Bloody Sleeves for the Arms
- I used a dollar store zombie mask stuffed with some grease proof paper as the head.
- Stretch the mask around the plywood head and then use a staple gun to hold it tightly in position.
- I cut 2 sleeves from an old shirt then slashed holes in them for an old worn look.
- Spray red paint on for a nice bloody look.
- Put the sleeves over the arms and staple in place,make sure the cut a hole in the sleeve to expose the bones.
Step 6: Put Your Zombie on Display!
- Use your stakes to plant the pieces in your garden making it look as the zombie is emerging from a grave!
I really enjoyed doing this project with my family it was a lot of fun!!
I made a video of the build for my YouTube channel BCDesign. Please watch, subscribe and comment I hope you enjoy the video!!