I was looking around for NEW ideas of how to infuse food with alcohol. Everyone knows about jungle juice, upping a vodka bottle in the watermelon, gummy bears. This is what I came up with.
Who doesn't love chocolate dipped strawberries? The answer obviously no one! If you could get drunk from them, even better.
- Strawberries (I used about 2 of the rectangle boxes you get at the market)
- Needle (That's the hard part as explained in step one)
- A stove or heat source to double-boil the chocolate.
- 2 little pots (preferably the same size so that the top one doesn't fall into bottom one)
- Something to stir with (spoon?) Also, you'll need a spoon to drizzle the chocolate onto the strawberry.
- A bowl (try to find syringes with a huge reservoir (I think that's what its called, that's the part that holds the liquid before it goes out the pointy end, that way you don't have to refill it for every strawberry. BUT if you can't find one like that, then I recommend a needle with a screw off tip, so you can screw off the needle, and suction in lots of liquid faster).
- Wax paper, or plates, or somewhere you can put the strawberries in the fridge to solidify the chocolate (if you just leave them out on the counter, I find the chocolate never really hardens it just becomes semi-solid / semi-mushy, best if you just pop em' in the fridge for a bit).
- Thirsty / hungry friends and family!
***NOTE*** Make sure the chocolate has hardened in the fridge before you inject the alcohol into it!
I'll be adding a video this weekend. Let me know if you have questions, comments, etc.
Step 1: finding a store that will sell you syringes without proof that you're a diabetic. Wal-Mart has worked for me, usually smaller pharmacies need a written note from a doctor. Anywho, good luck with your syringe search.
Step 2: chocolate and strawberries (not a lot of explanations here).
Step 3: double boiling chocolate. (that's where you have a little pot of boiling water, and a pot on top of it to steam-boil the chocolate. ***IMPORTANT*** - do NOT let ANY water get into the chocolate that you're double boiling or it will turn clumpy despite boiling it. You're going to want to DRIZZLE OR POUR the chocolate onto the strawberries as opposed to dipping them into it. Even one drop of water will be the bane of your strawberry dipping experience, you have been warned!
Step 4: put in fridge for the chocolate to harden for 30min-1hour.
Step 5: the fun step yaaay! Inject away. Be careful it is a needle and its very sharp.
Step 6: get drunk without drinking! (in later trials i've used whip cream flavored vodka mixed with a little whip cream and some chocolate wine, but feel free to try what you like).
*** Note *** Some people have asked me "Why are you using Everclear?" The answer my dear friends is that each strawberry doesn't hold that much. You have to get as much bang for your buck as you can. Plus, if you get semi-sweet chocolate, the flavors of sweetness mask even the strongest of liquors. As much as I love these little munchies, I don't feel like eating 300 of them to get buzzed.