A Thread lampshade is a super easy and pretty lampshade that can be made with just simple thread/string, glue and an inflatable ball. It's fun to create and doesn't even take a lot of time! plus the whole lampshade is super cheap- can be made for under $10!
it can be used to decorate your personal room, halls or parties.plus they make perfect wedding decorations!

Step 1: Materials

• Thread - 250 metres- (you can use crotchet thread, simple twine, cotton yarn or thin jute yarn- all have their unique effects)
  • Glue - 1 bottle- it's the main ingredient!
  • Inflatable rubber ball
  • A bulb with a bulb holder
  • A long wire with a 2-pin plug
  • Permanent marker
  • Empty tic-tac box
  • newspapers ( to spread on your work station to prevent a mess)

note - if you cannot find a thin inflatable rubber ball, a round balloon can also be used. However, I would advise you to use an inflatable rubber ball- because hey it's reusable!

<p>Super groovy!</p>
<p>Neat, and very stylish XD</p>
<p>Great idea! I made this to spice up an old lantern floor lamp I have but with a twist. I made two holes (top and bottom) and a frame to hang the light bulbs from. I also added tissue paper to the inside to diffuse the light a bit. Thanks for the Instructable!</p>
<p>Thanks for sharing :)</p>
<p>Your lampshades look amazing! </p>
<p>Amazing, great job.</p>
<p>This is awesome and I love that you use a ball that you can reuse to make a bunch of these. And it's a nice round shape that's hard to get with a balloon!</p>
This looks fantastic! Thanks ! And the tic-tac glue coating method is brilliant :)
Can we hang photos from the lamp shade , using threads? <br>will the structure be strong enough to hold it ?
if you're planning on hanging light objects like photographs, light decoration pieces etc. ; it should be able to hold all that.<br>The structure is actually much sturdier than one would imagine. especially so if it's made with a thicker thread.
Thanks a lot ! xD<br>Btw Can i use wollen thread ?
<p>you can use a wollen thread/yarn. however, keep in mind that the wool will gain a funny texture once you apply glue on it. </p>
<p>Really great design, I love it!</p><p>A question - what is the generic type of glue?</p><p>Voted for you in the glue contest, of course.</p>
<p>thank you!<br>I've used 'Fevicol', which is a very commonly available glue in my country. it's basically a synthetic resin/white adhesive.</p>
Very nice! A lamp like that will be needed in my new house. I will try to get some &quot;african&quot; feel to it since we are moving to Zambia. Maybe thin roots or long grass instead of yarn... hmmm...
you can use a thick brown jute thread to make it. that should give it an authentic african feel.
<p>Good explanation, and I like the glue applicator. But I think some comments are in order about the RISK of FIRE. Light bulbs, especially the incandescent type, get really got after a while. Commercial lampshades have a BIG hole at the top to let hot air out. They also have a kind of spider that holds the lampholder in the middle of the big hole. I'm just worried that the heat could start a fire, maybe only after while. That would be bad. Even with bulbs that don't generate so much heat, like LEDs or CFLs, a fault could create some heat and the shade could BURN. </p>
<p>I've made two lampshades like this including once that's been in use everyday since a year! and believe me, there is no actual fire hazard. <br>The bulb I've used is a mere 15 watt small bulb. moreover, by virtue of using thin thread the heat gets dissipated and the lampshade doesn't really heat up!</p>

About This Instructable

424 favorites

More by advaym: First-Aid kit for cars Protective Scissor case Cute Corner Bookmarks!
Add instructable to: