Instructables
After making two Lightbulb Aquariums, mom asked me to make her a thread stand, so here it is! This is my first Instructable, so please tell me what you think.

Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Gather materials and tools

C:\Documents and Settings\James\My Documents\My Pictures\Thread stand pictures\IMG_2684.JPG
Materials
Wood (scrap from previouse project, about 4" square)
Wire clothes hanger
Bamboo skewer
Wood glue
Tools
Hammer
Pliers
Needle nose pliers
Measuring tape
Hacksaw
Sandpaper
Staple gun
Drill
Saw

Step 7: Cut skewer

Make sure the skewer fits in hole. Put smallest spool of thread you will be using on the skewer and mark The height on the skewer. Then cut it at mark with needle nose pliers and sand.

Step 10: Bend the wire part II

Go to the opposite end (the one that was bent before step 9) and with the L shaped part on the ground, make sure they're parallel to eachother. Bend the wire around in a loop, trim off excess, and bend end so it's not sharp.
*note, the loop doesn't have to be closed.
mick_park made it!1 month ago

Great tutorial! I made mine in about 10-15 minutes using stuff I had laying around. The thread guide is a heavy gauge coat hanger, the center post is a hollowed out Bic pen. Works great on the sewing machine.

IMG_2425.JPGIMG_2426.JPGIMG_2427.JPG
delone866 months ago

Great job! Is the sewing table a DIY also?

lydium1 year ago
I bought a few cones the other week, got home and was stumped on what to do with them. Finally got around to looking for stands online and thought there has to be an easy way to make one myself. I Stumbled across this last night, and after a quick trip to Lowe's where I spent maybe $4 on wood and a dowel rod, and about 10 minutes of work at home I have my very own thread stand. Thanks so much for making this, you really helped me out!
charlene171 year ago
I love this idea, so practical and will use it. You did a great job! Maybe you could paint the wire (to match the machine color and cover the block...(paint, decoupage, make it an extra pin cushion, etc). So many ideas, thanks to you :)
Solskinner1 year ago
This is great! Very easy to understand Instructable. I'll be making one of these tomorrow. I was surfing to find one and thought they were too expensive, so glad I found your instructable!
gogokira4 years ago
Awesome! I knew there was a way of making these rather than spending money on them!
eightbit5 years ago
Why not just drill a hole to stick the hanger in? Why bend and staple it?
musicalbee2003 (author)  eightbit5 years ago
I don't know... Maybe it just felt more stable to me? You are welcome to make anyway you think works best.
abethepunk5 years ago
Thanks for the instructable, I think I will be making this! Off topic, but I believe that I have that same sewing machine, only it is branded Morse.
quilter10125 years ago
thank you! I have one of those, a class 15 clone am I right? It is a wonderful machine!
silverfox135 years ago
This is a great idea, very useful. Your instructions are clear and seem easy to do. I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.
Ogredude5 years ago
Setting up to sew a bunch of stuff to sell at an anime convention, was getting pretty ticked about how quick we go through spools, and I found a big cone of thread in the shop, but no way of getting it to work on our machines. So I googled. And here I hit. And it works PERFECTLY! Excellent Instructable!
musicalbee2003 (author)  Ogredude5 years ago
I'm glad someone found this, and was able to use it. Thanks for letting me know!
Dalya6 years ago
That sewing machine is such a beauty. Metal <3. Wonderful idea. So useful :D
musicalbee2003 (author)  Dalya6 years ago
Yeah, thats my mother's baby. An old electric. She converted it to a treadle and made the table herself.
Wow Haha :D That thing must weight a ton!!
musicalbee2003 (author)  Dalya6 years ago
Yeah, but it's not meant to be moved. My sister's hand crank, on the other hand...
BDMama7 years ago
Thanks Dear. It works great!
jessiep7 years ago
If you'd like your project to be included in the Sew Useful Contest, be sure to add a link to your thread stand's Etsy page.
Aunty Y7 years ago
Hey, Nephew! Way to go! I bet it makes life a little easier for Mom! Aunty Y