Instructables

Thread organizer box for skinny spools -- Sulky, Gutermann, Mettler Metrosene (Capacity: 175 spools)

Picture of Thread organizer box for skinny spools -- Sulky, Gutermann, Mettler Metrosene (Capacity: 175 spools)
Untitled-30.jpg
This thread organizer is superior to what you can find pre-made, especially if you have a lot of the skinny style thread spools.

Why?

It holds the thread spools in high density (capacity of 175 per box), but so that the colors are all visible.

It keeps matching spools and bobbins together on the same peg.

It's portable, compact, and neat. The box can be stored in any orientation without making a mess of the thread, and the clear plastic allows the contents to be instantly identified.

The box in these pictures is only half-filled (8 rows out of a possible 14).

Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Gather your materials & tools

Picture of Gather your materials & tools
Untitled-18.jpg
tie_rack.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg
MATERIALS:

1 - ArtBin Super Satchel, single compartment, not slim, not with thread insert (available at Jo-Anns Fabric) - $14.49 ea
7 - ClosetMaid Tie & Belt Racks (available at Home Depot) - $5.47 ea
2 1/2 feet wood trim (I used 3/8 inch by 3/4 inch artificial wood quarter round from Home Depot)

TOOLS:

Bolt Cutter
3/16 inch drill bit
Hack saw
Adjustable wrench (or something else to straighten the pegs)
ShadowGirl4 years ago
Greeat idea. There are no generic spool holders for Guterman, etc, spools and this keeps them nice and clean!
linkyta4 years ago
 Hey congratulations, this is such a great idea! I was looking for a gift for my mom (she's got a ton of spools) and this is perfect, thanks!!
awesome, i might show my home ec teacher this.
brighterfusion (author)  GorillazMiko6 years ago
Hey thanks! It's my first (instructable).
Pro

Get More Out of Instructables

Already have an Account?

close

PDF Downloads
As a Pro member, you will gain access to download any Instructable in the PDF format. You also have the ability to customize your PDF download.

Upgrade to Pro today!