Squeegees are household cleaning tools that have smooth rubber blades used to wipe wet, flat surfaces. Some places you can clean with squeegees include car windows, glass shower doors, and windows. In this project, I have modified the squeegee's original design to have fold-able rubber blades.
Step 1: Set Up Your Materials
The tools you would need for this project includes...
- Metal-cutting circular saw (or any saw that cuts metal)
The separate materials...
- 2 Middle hinges (3/4 in x 11/16 in)
- 8 Screws (32 x 1/2 in)
- 8 Bolts
- 1 standard size squeegee (main body)
- 2 separate rubber blades (preferably the same type as your main body)
Step 2: Drill Holes Into the Squeegee
- Drill two holes into each end of the main body squeegee. (Make sure you're drilling through the top side where the metal mostly covers the rubber material)
- Take one separate rubber blade and drill two holes into only ONE end.
- Repeat step 2 for the other rubber blade.
Step 3: Align the Holes With Hinges
For this step, make sure the metal side of the rubber blades and main body are facing up.
- Lay the rubber blades beside the main body with one on each side. (Make it so that the holes are right next to each other)
- Align a hinge on top of the 4 holes of one end of the main body and rubber blade.
- Repeat step 2 for the other end of the main body.
Step 4: Fix the Screws Into the Hinges
- Insert screws in all the aligned holes.
- Use a screwdriver to slightly tighten the screws into the hinge holes.
- Twist on the bolts from the bottom where the screws are extruded from the rubber material.
- Make sure all the bolts are screwed in tightly.
Step 5: Saw the Rubber Blades in Half
This step is to make the squeegee more sturdy and less flimsy.
- From the edge to the end connected to the main body of one rubber blade, measure 5 inches in.
- Mark the 5 inch mark.
- Use a metal saw to cut the rubber blade at the marked spot.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the other rubber blade.
Step 6: All Done!
Enjoy wiping off those water stains with a squeegee that now covers more area! :)