This Instructable will show you how to build your own camping stove using household items, and cook a simple lunch.
Step 1: Gather the materials
- a large can (2L or 1kg)
- a small can (tuna or pet food)
- corrugated cardboard
- wax: paraffin, crayon, or candle
- string or birthday candles
- tin snips
- bottle opener
- food to cook (suggestion: grilled cheese sandwich or eggs to fry)
Step 2: Prepare the burner
- Cut strips of cardboard the same height as the small can.
- Tightly roll the cardboard strips and place them inside the can.
- Fill the can with rolled cardboard.
- Place string or birthday candles in various spots to use as lighting wicks.
Step 3: Melt and add the wax
- Heat a pot of water on the stove. Place the wax in a smaller pot, inside of the heated pot of water to safely melt the wax. There is no need to boil the water.
- Pour wax onto the burner, soaking all of the cardboard. Do not overfill.
- Set the burner aside to cool and harden.
Step 4: Prepare the stove-top
- Using the tin snips, cut a small door that flips up and out at the open end of the tin can.
- Use the bottle opener to cut six vents spaced out around the closed end of the can.
Step 5: Cook
- Place the burner on a gravel or non-flammable surface.
- Light the wicks.
- Place the stove-top over the burner. The top of the can will heat up quickly, and make a great cooking surface for anything fried, like a grilled cheese sandwich, or an egg. You can also place a small pot or frying pan on the stove top. If you cook directly on the stove top, don’t forget to grease the cooking surface.