Introduction: Tiny Altoids Watercolor Paint Set
A tiny watercolor paint set that holds 5 half pans of water color and fits in your pocket along with your keys.
It's perfect to throw into a man purse or diaper bag, whichever you prefer. Personally, I keep this in the car for when I get stuck babysitting the 2yr old during nap time while out and about.
Step 1: Inventory
- Tin case - While I found the mini Altoids tin to be ideal, you could use any small tin case. If using Altoids, remember not to drink Coca Cola / Coke after you eat all the mint to empty the tin.
- Glossy Enamel Paint - Spray or brush paint from Home Depot or your favorite hardware/art/craft store. Spray paint is easier to use but messier than brush paint. Make sure it's glossy paint. Matt finish paint is hard to clean water color paint off.
- Masking/Painter's Tape - You will need some tape to cover areas you do not want the enamel on.
- Paint Remover - Your hands will get paint on them. Also, if you are obsessive on neatness like myself, you will need the paint remover to touch up the tin once done.
- Paint Brush - If you are not using spray paint you need this to apply the paint.
- Water Color Paint - Pick your brand of 5 water color half pans.
- Glue - You will need this to stick your pans to the bottom of the tin to avoid the pans from bouncing around and making a racket while you walk.
Step 2: Paint the Tin
- As instructed by the spray paint can, go outside - the paint will smell. Also, you do not want to get the enamel on furniture or the floor. It's hard enough to remove the paint from your hands once done.
- Use masking tape or painters tape to cover the portions of the tin you do not want to paint - basically the entire outside of the tin. Most likely, any area not covered in tape will get paint on it.
- Spray the paint on to the tin. Add one layer, wait for a few minutes and add a second.
- If you are me, you will move the tin to a cleaner area.
- After 4-6 hours, remove the masking/painter's tape carefully. You can use a paper towel, wet with paint remover, to clean off unwanted paint.
- Let dry for 24 hours.
Step 3: Go Water Color!
- Stick your half pans of water color to the inside of the tin with some glue.
- That's it! Go paint something better that I did!!!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.