Introduction: Tips to Improve Your Energy Efficiency
- Reduce your A/C usage during the warmer months by using fans and opening windows and doors in order to create a cool breeze through your house.
- Use the microwave instead of the oven. The microwave uses almost two-thirds less energy
- Unplug appliances that you don't use daily. Many of them have lights or some form of standby mode that still uses electricity even when they aren't on.
- Turn off your computer when you aren't using it. These things can be monster power hogs.
- Make sure to turn off your bathroom or kitchen vent fan if you aren't using them.
- Install a high efficiency, programmable thermostat in your house. The NEST thermostat is a great example of this new technology that is designed to keep you comfortable and save you money.
- Make sure you don't have appliances that give off heat near your thermostat.
- If your home is poorly insulated or has gaps in the sealing it can add up to 20% on your heating and cooling bill.
- Clean and replace your filters in your A/C, the dirtier they are the more electricity is required to cool down your house.
- Using a ceiling fan will allow you to decrease the amount of cooling needed in your house at minimal cost.
If you would like to see more energy efficiency tips make sure to check out Direct Energy's learning center.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.