Step 1: Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
1-3/4 cups cake flour
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp. milk
1 vanilla bean
6 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
5 large whole eggs plus 4 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cup sugar
- Take your vanilla been and cut it length wise down the center. With your knife scrap both sides of the seeds from the pod and put them in a small sauce pan along with the pod. Add the 6 tbsp. of milk to the saucepan.
- Heat over medium-high heat and whisk just until bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the 6 tbsp of unsalted butter cut into pieces and whisk until it is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes and then remove the vanilla bean pod and discard it.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, or with hand held mixer, combine the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar. Whisk lightly to blend.
- Set the bowl over a bowl of hot water, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is warm and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- Return the bowl to the mixer base and whisk on high speed until the mixture is a pale yellow and fluffy. You will know it is done when you lift the beater and the mixture is able to hold a ribbon or soft peak.