Introduction: Toasted Coconut Cake Balls
Sometimes you try to make one thing and it turns out to be a totally new thing...well these gluten free, toasted coconut, cake balls are an example of that.
As far as cake balls are concerned, these are pretty healthy and covered with delicious coconut instead of a sickly sweet icing. They are made of rice flour so they are gluten free and although they have no leaveners they end up being light and fluffy...and at the same time a bit chewy.
Step 1: What You Will Need...
- 200g Coconut milk
- 200g Rice flour
- 50g water
- 50g Sugar
- Some desiccated coconut and sugar for rolling the cake balls in
- Some butter or oil for making the baking sheet non-stick
- a fork
- a whisk
- a microwave-safe mixing bowl
- a small plate
- a baking sheet
- a microwave
- an oven
Step 2: Mix.
- Mix the rice flour, coconut milk with the water and sugar to get a paste-like consistency.
Step 3: Zap!
- Cover the mixture/bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes on high or at 1000w.
Step 4: Crumble.
- Remove the cooked mixture from the microwave.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Break it apart until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs (like the picture).
Step 5: Roll.
- Mix some sugar and desiccated coconut in a small plate or bowl.
- Make a golf ball sized ball out of the crumbly rice-flour mixture by squishing the mixture in your hand(s).
- Roll your balls, one at a time, in the coconut/sugar mix so that they are evenly coated.
- Place your balls on a greased cooking sheet.
Step 6: Bake.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC to 350ºF
- Bake your Coconut Cake Balls for 15-20 minutes or until the coconut becomes toasted on the outside.
- Remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
Step 7: Enjoy.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.