This Marmalade is such a treat to enjoy when tomato harvest is happening. I came up with this recipe when I had so many tomatoes from our garden that I was playing with various recipes and finalized on this one when ALL my neighbors, who were my taste testers, commented on how much they loved it and were asking for more!
I love to eat this marmalade on an everything bagle with cream cheese. Its also wonderful on BLT sandwiches, club crackers or over warmed brie cheese.
Step 1: Ingredients: 12-15 Half Pints
6 Cups of Peeled, seeded and diced Tomatoes
9 Cups of Sugar
1/4 Cup of thinly slivered Lemon Peel
1/2 Cup lemon juice
1/4 Cup of thily ribboned fresh Basil
1Tbsp of chopped fresh Thyme
12 Tbsp of Fruit Pectin
Step 2: Cooking:
1. Simmer prepared tomatoes in a covered, large sauce pot for 10 minutes.
2. Meausre 6 cups of cooked tomatoes.
3. Combine cooked tomatoes, basil, thyme, lemon peel, lemon juice and pectin.
4. Bring to a boil, careful to not leave unattended because it will froth.
5. Add sugar, stirring untill dissolved.
6. Return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirrling constantly.
7. Remove from heat.
Step 3: Canning:
1. Ladle HOT marmalade into HOT jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
2. Thouroghly clean the rim of your jars because this marmalade it very sticky which can prevent a good seal.
3. Process your jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
4. Remove jars from water and set on a dry towel for 24 hours untill your seals have popped down.