Yeah, you have to admit, it's pretty ridiculous how they can charge someone for that. Why not make your own from your recyclables??
It's very simple, and it cost me nothing to make it. All I really needed to buy was a tomato plant.
If you're going for something simple and easy to do to get nice, plump tomatoes, I'd recommend this project. If you're not really for the aesthetics, you can skip some steps.
Step 1: Gather Materials
Gather...Not so much the hunting today, but getting your materials/tools is very useful.
- X-Acto knife
- Metal Snips or Scissors
- Electrical or Duct Tape
- Empty & Cleaned Gatorade Bottle (32 Oz or larger) or Milk Jug
- Metal Clothes Hanger
- Plastic Bags (Preferably not white or black)
- Glue (Rubber Cement was used in this case because it was on hand)
Step 2: Mark & Cut
Then, cut along the line with the X-Acto knife or Scissors.
The result should look like so:
Step 3: Deburring the Edges (Optional)
You have 2-3 Options:
1) Use your lighter and gently bring the bottom of the bottle through the flame so that you can gently melt the sides to a duller edge.
2) Use the Duct/Electrical tape to tape the edges down.
3) After (1), do (2)...Which is the method that is done here.