For this project you will need:
- 2*2 white deal (or other type of soft wood).
- 3 sheets of 12mm marine plywood 4ft * 8ft.
- Screws 60mm, 40mm,18mm, wood adhesive.
- Screw gun, skill saw, orbital sander, jigsaw, clamps, measuring tape, pencil, spirit level, adjustable bevel.
- 4 hinges, lock , brass screw cup (decorative purpose).
Most important: WORK SAFE.
Use all protective gear: gloves, eye and ear protection.
Step 1: Making the Box Frame
- Make the box frame using the dimensions you measured for the box in your van taking into account the height comfort for your legs. The front of the box can be flat or beveled.
- Under the long horizontal span add support.
- Box front vertical support cut in an angle.
- Screw 2*2 inside the box for the inner shelf support.
- For all screws drill pilot holes in the 2*2 frame.
Step 2: Plywood Cover
Use the skill saw to cut the plywood for the box walls.
Screw all sides into the 2*2 frame.
Step 3: Opening for Shovel and Long Tool Storage
Use the jigsaw to make the opening on the side.
Step 4: Inside Shelf, Plywood Cover
After the inside is done cover and screw the box top sides with plywood (measured cut to size).
Step 5: Box Base Cover
After cutting plywood to size screw it to the box base. The base will be used to attach the box to the van's floor so don't be "shy" with the screws when attaching the base plywood.
Step 6: Lid Support
Step 7: Attaching the Lid
Lid is made from 2 layers of plywood for extra strength. Glue 2 layers of 12mm plywood and clamp them together until the glue is dry.
Step 8: Attaching the Hinges and the Lock
- At this last step fix the hinges to the box lid, leave a 3mm gap from the back lid.
- Chisel the lock depth and attach the lock.
- Round the lid corners with a jigsaw.
- Sand the box with an orbital sander or corner sander for a smooth finishing.
- Paint the box or leave it natural.