Step 5: Puppet Assembly
While things like the feet and body were rather simple, connecting the internal puppet to the body and head was a little tricky. To disguise the internal puppet (made of white felt), the pockets (where the operators fingers go) had to be made of the dragon skin pleather, as did the parts that attached to the upper and lower halves of the head to the internal puppet. The internal puppet sleeve attached to the body at a slit in the belly. The making of the internal puppet can be seen in the images below.
The tail was given some internal structure using strands of nylon wire glued to one side of the fabric.
Here is the total piece count:
- Legs x 8 (4 legs with mirrored tops a bottoms, the same pieces was used as a trace of all by flipping it over between top and bottom halves)
- Tail x 2
- Body x 2
- Head x 4 (same shape for upper and lower halves of the head. In hindsight the lower half should have been much smaller)
- Internal puppet sleeve x 2
- Internal puppet finger pouch x 2
- Internal puppet cover fabric and head mounting material x 2
- Ears x 4