Plus, booksafes are cool.
I decided to make the booksafe so I could carry use it in two ways:
1. Leave the iphone in its Marware case and carry them both in the closed booksafe, to provide an extra level of protection in my backpack.
2. Take the iphone out of its Marware case and put horizontally in the open booksafe to surf the web.
Step 1: Choosing the Book
1. Do you want to put the iPhone in the book vertically, horizontally, or both?
2. Do you want to put the iPhone + a case in the book, or just the phone?
Once you've decided, pick out a book that's thick enough and tall and wide enough to hold the phone.
It's a good idea to pick a book with a dust jacket, because it might get messed up during the project.
Step 2: What you'll need.
1. an Exacto blade or box cutter,
2. tacky glue (you can find this in a craft shop,)
3. a pen or pencil, and
4. the book.
Cutting the book is going to take a long, long time, and could get boring if you're working alone. I made my booksafe at a party at a coffeeshop, which was fun. Also I made lots of new friends, everybody was curious about what I was doing.
Since you're using a sharp knife, I wouldn't do this at an airport.
Step 3: Outline the shape.
Outline the shape you're going to cut in the book.