In this guide, I'll teach you how to use a VPN for securely downloading torrents and general web browsing, using a public wifi, and using geo-locked/restricted services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Facebook, Songza and all the other great sites you can't use away from the USA.
Step 1: GET a VPN!
If you don't know what a VPN is, here's the wikipedia page to explain what a VPN is, let's skip forward and get to choosing one. I've used a handful of them over the years and found certain criteria that is a must and I'll tell you my favourite which checks all the rights boxes: Private Internet Access
PIA is my favourite for a few reasons:
1. Security - No logs, which mean no one can ever trace back my internet activity to my IP.
2. Speed - They have servers all over the world, which means you can always get a decent speed.
3. Interface - They have a no-nonsense interface for the Mac OS X, Windows PC, iOS, Android & Linux. This makes using the service easy!
Use a VPN for Geo-restricted sites, Facebook, netflix, etc. Use it on Public Wifi to stop data thieves and also use it for Torrent downloading to stop your ISP or copyright infringement agencies from seeing what your network activities are. That being said, please use it responsibility and don't engage in illegal activities. Laws vary, please check your local laws.
Step 2: Get a Torrent Client
There's something for everyone, I prefer Transmission. It's lightweight, which means it doesn't slow down your computer and it has a beautifully easy-to-use interface.
After you've downloaded your client here's a step I recommend taking.
1. Open your VPN app.
2. Enable VPN KILL SWITCH, which will disable your internet connection if the VPN is turned off. This will prevent your Torrents downloading on an unsecured connection. On PIA, you can find this option under advance setup.
3. Enable Port Forwarding
4. Turn On your VPN. If you scroll over the icon in PIA app, you've see which server you're connected to and get a port address as well.
5. Open Transmission, settings, network and enter the port number there. Your Torrents will work smoothly now.
Step 3: Finding Your Torrents
There's many site out there. Think PirateBay!
**DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DOWNLOAD COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL**
1. Torrentz,eu - It's like the google of torrents, it indexes other sites and provides link.
2. ShowRSS - Since EZTV has gone into strangers hands, this site is getting a lot of traction as an effective way to track your shows.
Once you found your torrent file, using the Magnet links is an easy way to add them to your BitTorrent Client (Transmission) and get them started.
Remember, VPN Kill Switch, Port Forwarding and Netherlands servers on your VPN.