Don't know who Totoro is? Check out this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro I suggest you watch the movie sometime... It's pretty cute.
Step 1: You Will Need:
- A Sewing Machine - makes it much easier and faster, though it's not required.
- About ½ Yard of Gray Fleece - or any other fabric that would work nice as a hat ;)
- Black and White Scraps of Felt
- Paper - tissue paper works well for this
- Writing Utensil
- Fabric Marker - really handy
- Other various sewing supplies
Step 2: Cutting your Cloth
The hat I made doesn't fit anyone else, so I probably have a smaller head, which means you'll have to make it a bit bigger. ;)
Step 3: Sewing the Ears
Cut close to the stitching, (but not too close!) as this makes it easier to turn inside out.
Turn both of the ears right side out and set them aside for a minute.
Step 4: Sewing the Hat Base
Turn one of the halves right-side-out. Put the right-side-out one into the inside-out half, so that the right sides of the fabric are together. (See picture 4) Pin at the seam at the top.
Slip the ears in between the two halves about an inch from the center seam line. (See pictures 5 and 6).
Sew the two halves together. Your hat is forming!