Unfortunately for most people around the world who do not know an Armenian would not know about the Armenian culture let alone Armenian cuisine.
Some of my favourite reciepies are,
Basterma ( very similar to Italian prosciutto)
Watermelon and Bulgarian feta (you have to try it before commenting),
This recipe for tourshu comes from my Mayr (mother) and I believe is a perfect example of traditional Armenian food which compliments and reflects Armenia's food culture.
Step 1: The Vegetables
Please make sure you wash all of your vegetables before pickling.
Cabbage, (cut into small chunks)
Carrots, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces
Cauliflower, cut into florets
Capcicums, seeds removed and cut into chunks, and
Chick Peas 1 Pkt
Garlic (ends cut and peeled keep whole)
Step 2: Pickling Water
2 Litres (1/2 gallon) water
1 cup kosher salt
500ml (1/2 quart) vinegar
Combine all pickling water ingredients.
Step 3: Pickling Spice
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon of chilli seeds
1 (2.5 cm) piece cinnamon stick
3 dried bay leaves
Step 4: The Instructions
1. Clean your Pickling jars.
2. To each jar of pickles you want to make evenly distribute garlic,chickpeas and pickling spice.
3. Layer a variety of the vegetables evenly in each jar.
4. Pour the prepared pickling water over the vegetables in each jar (ensure that you do not fill up the jars completely but make sure the contents are completely covered) .
5. Place the lids onto the jars and seal them, and set aside the jars in your pantry.
6. Leave your tourshu in your pantry undisturbed for 4 weeks.
Step 5: Finally Finished!
Lastly I hope that this recipe reaches an audience throughout the world and inspires those people to find out more about Armenia and her history, creative arts and food culture.
Thanks for reading