Introduction: Traditional Irish Brown Soda Bread
Step 1: Ingredients:
250 g Plain Flour
250 g Wholemeal Flour
400 ml-500 ml Buttermilk or Kefir
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
Egg Wash (optional)
Step 2: Directions:
1. Combine both types of flour with baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk (or kefir – if the kefir is too thick, use less and mix it with milk) and using a wooden spoon mix until you get nice dough.
2. Transfer onto a floured surface and form into a loaf (do not knead– the less you work the dough the better). Using both hands make moves like if you wanted to lift the dough, then tuck it under and at the same time turn it in clockwise/anticlockwise direction. Repeat several times. This will shape the dough into a nice round loaf.
3. Place the dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and mark a cross using a knife (you can also cut it into quarters, if you prefer smaller loaves).
4. Brush with egg wash and place in a preheated oven. Bake at 200 C/400 F for 30 minutes or until ready (if you knock on the bottom of the bread and you hear a hollow sound you know it’s ready).
5. Let it cool down on a wire rack before serving. Serve with anything you like!
Step 3: Watch the Video for This Recipe:
Step 4: Subscibe/Follow Us to Get the Latest Updates:
► Website: www.happyfoodstube.com
► Youtube: www.youtube.com/happyfoodstube
► Google+: https://plus.google.com/+happyfoodstube
► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/happyfoodstube
► Instagram: http://instagram.com/happyfoodstube
► Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/happyfoodstube
► Twitter: https://twitter.com/happyfoodstube
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.