Introduction: Transforming Money Flying Disc (dollar Bill Origami)
I've made too many of these things to count! In the past I've made them out of origami paper but recently I got the idea to make them out of dollar bills and was pleased with the results. These discs fly really well in either ring or star configuration but I wouldn't suggest throwing it to someone in star formation because it's pokey.
Step 1: What's Needed
-8 dollar bills
Step 2: Make a Square
The dollar bill needs to be folded into a square. If you know already know how to do this, awesome, make it happen. If not, this is what I did:
1. fold down the right corner to meet the bottom edge of the bill
2. fold that flap towards the left, staying even with the bottom edge of the bill
3. open the flap to reveal a square
4. fold the excess of the left side of the bill under
Step 3: Fold the Guidelines
Now fold some guidelines:
1. fold so that the upper right corner meets the lower left one to create a diagonal line, unfold
2. fold so that the upper left corner meets the lower right one to create a diagonal line, unfold
3. fold so that the top edge meets the bottom edge to create a horizontal line, unfold
Step 4: The Pokey End of the Unit
Fold the bottom left corner half way up to meet the guidelines from the previous step. Next, fold the top left corner in the same manner. Fold the unit in half along the horizontal line.
This is the trickiest part of folding the unit. Basically you want to fold in the middle of the bill to make a parallelogram.
Use the picture as a guide and push the edge of the bill in to reverse fold it.
Repeat Steps 2-6 to create 8 folded units.
Step 7: Attach the Units
Align two units as shown, with the pointed edge of one fitting inside the open flaps of the other. Once in position, two flaps will be overlapping the other bill. Fold this inward so that they fit inside the other bill.
Step 8: Make a Disc
Continue attaching the units until you complete the disc will all 8.
The disc is now complete. Throw to a friend or collapse to form a pokey star.