This hardly requires instructions but what the heck, this IS Instructables so I'll tap some out anyway.
Tools and materials are laid out in the third image.
- Straws, the more variety and color the better in my book but you can use what suits you.
- I used red coffee stirrers for the spacers but you could just use more straws.
- Heavy thread. I used waxed linen because that's what I had but anything sturdy will work.
- Embroidery needle, Sharp, not blunt point.
- Wine cork (I forgot to put this in the picture)
- Cut a bunch of spacers. Mine here are about an inch but don't bother measuring.
- Cut your straws into pieces. I varied the size from 1 to 2 1/2 inches.
- Cut about 2 arms lengths (10 to 12 ft.) of thread and thread the needle.
- Secure the end. I pierced a small piece of a stirrer because they are fairly stout and tied off to it.
- Thread on spacers and straws. Slip on a spacer and then thread sideways through a section of straw. (Here's where the cork comes in. I held it length wise in my hand and pierced the straw sections against it . This gives the straw support and keeps you from jabbing the needle into your fingers.)
- Repeat until you run out of thread.
- Tie off the end