This project is currently being used for a middle school intro to engineering program. This project is pretty simple to build and just about any home improvement store will have the supplies.
The kids are given the materials and the trebuchet drawing (see link in description). It takes the average group (2 to 5 kids) about 10 minutes to assembly the trebuchet. There are two variables in the setup. The first is the launching arm – three choices are available: short, medium and long. The other variable is the height of the weight. This is controlled by the distance on the ruler attached on the board at the base of the trebuchet. Data is collected for the three arm lengths across the weight height range (see link to spreadsheet). After the data is collected, a competition is held to hit a target (bucket, 20 feet away).
See video for actual build.
Step 1: Materials, Tools and Notes
- PVC Pipe, 1/2” diameter x 30” Long (x2)
- PVC Pipe, 1/2” diameter x 17” Long (x4)
- PVC Pipe, 1/2” diameter x 4” Long (x3)
- PVC Pipe, 1/2” diameter x 3” Long (x4)
- PVC Pipe, 1/2” diameter x 1.5” Long (x12)
- PVC Pipe, 3/4” diameter x 17” Long
- PVC Pipe, 3/4” diameter x 8” Long
- PVC Pipe, 3/4” diameter x 6” Long
- PVC Pipe, 3/4” diameter x 4.5” Long
- PVC Pipe, 3/4” diameter x 1.5” Long
- PVC Elbow, 1/2”, 45 degree, Female Unthreaded Socket Ends (x8)
- PVC Tee, 1/2”, Female Unthreaded Socket Ends (x10)
- PVC Tee, 3/4”, Female Unthreaded Socket Ends
- PVC Cross, 3/4”, Female Unthreaded Socket Ends
- PVC Adapter, 3/4”, Unthreaded & Female thread
- PVC Adapter, 3/4”, Unthreaded & Male thread (x3)
- PVC Cap, 1/2”, Female Unthreaded Socket End (x4)
- PVC Cap, 3/4”, Female Unthreaded Socket End (x3)
- PVC Glue/Cement
- Pin or nail – 1/8” diameter x ¾” long
- Wood – 30” x 4.75” x 5/8”
- Paper Ruler – 30” long
- Clear Packing Tape
- 5lb weight
- Rope (30”)
- Rubber squishy ball
- Fishing line - 26” long
Refer to the drawing for build instructions (last step). Note that Upper and Lower frame joints (items 1 and 2) are shown as assemblies on the drawing. This is an optional step which was done to speed up the build process for classes that had limited time. Both of these assemblies were glued together. The launching arm assembly must be glued together to support the weight and swinging motion.