Introduction: Trellis Plans
The Handyguys build a simple trellis out of a singe board. We document the process online at http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/118/episode-23-trellis-plans There is also an accompanying podcast and a downloadable .pdf describing the build at the same URL.
Step 1: Listen to the Podcast
Listening to the podcast will give you a better sense of the project. Go to http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/118/episode-23-trellis-plans and click the play button.
Step 2: Gather Materials and Tools, Build the Trellis
- Table saw
- Drill and bits
- Wood glue
- Spring clamps
- 5/4" x 6" x 8" knot free cedar or similar
- 4" exterior wood screws
- 1 1/4" exterior wood screws
- bar clamps
2. Cut one of the slats into cross pieces as show on the next page
3. Cut your 3/16" slat into eight 6" pieces.
4. Assemble the base first as shown on page two. Use glue and screws. Pre-drill to prevent splitting. A bar clamp will help hold everything together while you are drilling and screwing.
5. Attach the top cross piece first. Use spring clamps to hold it while you drill and screw. Attach the center and outer two slats first then slats two and four. Attach with 1 1/4ÃÂ¢Ã¢ÂÂ¬ÃÂ³ exterior wood screws. Use a square to ensure the first cross piece is square to the center slat.
6. Attach the remaining cross pieces in the same fashion and make sure they are square to the center slat.
We hope you find this to be a useful project. You can download a .pdf of the plans http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/downloads/TrellisPlans.pdf
Additional pictures are at http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/118/episode-23-trellis-plans
If you have any other questions about your home or other DIY project you can always call us at 615-676-0877 or email The Handyguys at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form on the website.