I must stop watching TRON: Legacy, as I keep seeing things I'd like to make and this time it's something to make you stand out on the road* and doesn't require batteries. Triangle reflectors catch the eye, because they are different to what you're expecting to see from a circular wheel, but they also show your direction of travel. Different coloured spoke reflectors are now available from Hong Kong, so copying the actual wheels from TRON: Legacy is now possible.
These reflectors fit best on 36 spoke wheels (easy to mount due to 36 dividing nicely by 3), slightly more difficult to mount on 32 or 28 spokes. The bike is a Kirk Precision, a British die-cast magnesium machine from the late 80s.
* Do not rely on these to keep you safe on the road!
You'll need the following parts to build these:
- 3M Scotchlite Reflective bicycle wheel spoke reflectors (usually sold in packs of 36, with similar brands available on eBay - just search for spoke reflectors)
- 2mm stainless steel x 3m (for two 26" wheels) (bought from Mallard Metals)
- 6x zip ties
- Side or wire cutters for cutting
- Needle nose pliers for folding
- Measuring tape