Introduction: Triple Decker Sandwich
This delicious Triple Decker Sandwich will leave your mouths watering! I have made it countless times, and everyone in my family loves it. One sandwich is very filling and you can make it for dinner every week!!! The only thing is you will definitely need a sandwich press, as this huge sandwich will definitely fall apart in a pan or oven!
So let's get started:
Step 1: Ingredients
You will need the following things to make two sandwiches (approximately):
- Six bread slices
For the first layer:
- 3 medium sized red tomatoes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic [preferred] (or) 1 tsp garlic powder
- An assortment of Italian spices (dried oregano, basil, parsley etc)
- One tbsp ketchup
- One tsp garlic chilly sauce or schezwan sauce (don't worry that the chinese sauce will overpower the italian taste, the dried herbs will mask the flavour. Plus, we use this part for the spice - you can always add chili flakes instead)
- 2 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- Any veggies chopped - broccoli, capsicum, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms etc
For the second layer:
- About 1.5 to 2 tbsp Mayonnaise or cheese sauce (depending on how cheesy you like the sandwich - rememeber that there is a cheese slice in there.
- Boiled, mashed and salted potatoes (as much as you like - it all depends from person to person)
- Two cheese slices
Step 2: Making the Tomato Sauce
Here is the tricky bit.
You need to make sure you put the vegetables cut and ready, and the cheese slice open and ready, as the tomato sauce quickly makes the sandwich soggy..
To make the sauce:
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Use a grinder to make a thick paste of the tomatoes (roughly chop them before putting them in the mixer)
- Add the chopped garlic and wait until some of the garlic slightly turns brown(ish). Add the tomato paste and stir until it slightly darkens. If using garlic powder, wait until the tomatoes are in...
- Add the ketchup, garlic chilli sauce/ chilli flakes/ schezwan sauce and stir.
- Add the garlic powder here (of using) and add the italian spices, water and salt. If you are using pizza oregano seasoning, no problem, but make sure you remember it has salt already, and watch out on the amount of salt you put in the sauce.
- Bring it to a boil, and them allow to simmer until most of the water has evaporated and you have a thick sauce.
(you can use this as a pasta sauce or a pizza sauce as well - it tastes awesome!)
Step 3: Stacking
Now, comes the tricky part. Make sure all the vegetables are cut and ready to be used, as the tomato sauce makes the bread soggy if left for too long.
- Take a bread slice, smear mayonnaise or cheese sauce on one side.
- Add potato mash on the mayo layer, and flatten using a spatula.
- Carefully place the cheese slice on the potato filling.
- Add a second bread slice on top of the cheese
- Put on the chopped veggies on the second bread.
- Take the last slice, smear some tomato sauce on the bread and place it on the veggies layer and immediately put it in the press, with oil or butter to toast it.
Step 4: Enjoy
Enjoy the sandwich and share the recipe with everyone!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.