Introduction: Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
This meat loaf recipe is very easy to make and way healthier than what your mom used to make.
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package ground turkey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I use Sriracha but any will do)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon water
Step 1: Getting Started on the Loaf
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Step 2: Prep the Oven
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F
Step 3: Prepping Onions for Filling
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
Step 4: Making the Loaf
1. Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl or mixer until well combined. The mixture will be moist, don't stress over this.
2. Shape into a loaf on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.
Step 5: Making the Glaze
1. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl.
2. Rub the glaze over the top of the meatloaf. I do this with a spoon as the loaf will be sticky.
Step 6: Baking the Loaf
1. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. You can cut into the center or use a meat thermometer.
2. Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Step 7: Serving the Loaf.
Slice into portions and plate with any sides you see fit. I like to serve it sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, and simple spinach and cherry tomato salad.
I hope you enjoy this healthier version of a classic dish.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.