Step 1: Materials
- One or more cheap plastic rings
- Any nail polish color with top coat
- Small decorations, like glitter, beads, charms, crystals, etc.
- Glue, I used Swarovski crystal glue
- Nail file or sandpaper
- Strong cutters like sharp pliers
Step 2: Snap and Sand
Step 3: Paint and Polish
Some tips about painting:
- Nail polish is best, other paints are not as opaque and take longer to dry
- Use a glossy or metallic top coat for best effect
The gold ring in this picture was done with regular paint but I washed that off before it dried and re did it with silver for a better finish.
Step 4: Lay Out and Attach Decorations
Let them all dry on top of the bottles and add more touch ups if needed.
Step 5: Finished!
If you have seen my other jewelry tutorial you'll see that I used a lot of leftover supplies to make these including the pliers, spacer beads, crystals, and glue. I was skeptical at first about disrespecting my Swarovski crystals by gluing them onto cheap plastic but I think it worked out. :) And while these rings aren't exactly designer quality I think it was a good way to use up my extra supplies from the last project.
While waiting for my rings to dry I also painted my own nails with the polish from the purple ring and glued on a crystal to match.
- Be patient with drying time
- Metallic polishes seem to look best on plastic
- Expand this idea to other cheap jewelry makeovers. Have an ugly bracelet or an old set of earrings? Try this!
- If you are buying rings for this project buy one size above your normal size because the paint forms a layer on the inside.
Thank you for looking at my instructable! :)